Friday 21 September 2012

Buy One, Get The Rest Free: The New ebook Serial Model?

Today, Publisher weekly published an article announcing Amazons intent regarding Kindle Serials. Though the concept of serials is not new, Amazons proposes what I refer to as a pay-now-buy-later model (actually, they call it a pay-once model). In simple terms, it means you pay once and get the rest of the serial free when the new titles in the series are published.
 
I think the concept of serials is a good marketing ploy that can be used for both new titles and old titles. In the case of the latter, these titles could be could be ‘revived’ back to life especially those not even in electronic form, much less Kindle.
From a publisher’s perspective, it is another platform to sell – which is always a great thing…after all, that’s what we are in the business of. I am just curious to see what the terms would be like – similar to Kindle Singles and Kindle Direct Publishing offerings? Only time will tell and I will keep you posted.
 
In the meantime, I'm going to give serial writing a go. Or perhaps I should get to grips with writing my first fiction book because according to Claudia Hall Christian (author of “Denver Cereal”) and Yael Goldstein Love of Plypton mentioned in the same article, writing serials is harder than one thinks. For it seems some authors are stumped by episode three.
 
So, I guess there is hope for me…as I can endeavour to do a two-part serial.
 
PS: I wonder if they would consider bringing back to life The Famous Five Series by Enid Blyton?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment